If summer were a dessert, this would be it. Easy to assemble with store-bought crust, layered with lemony cream cheese, and loaded with fresh strawberries, this slab pie is perfect in every way.
- 1 box Pillsbury™ refrigerated pie crust, softened as directed on box
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 cups sliced fresh strawberries (about 2 lb)
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel
- Sweetened whipped cream, if desired
- Heat oven to 450°F. Remove pie crusts from pouches. On lightly floured surface, unroll and stack crusts one on top of the other. Roll to 17x12-inch rectangle. Fit crust into 15x10x1-inch pan, pressing firmly into corners and sides. Fold extra crust under, even with edges of pan. Using fork, prick all over bottom and sides.
- Bake 9 to 12 minutes or until golden brown and completely baked. Cool completely on cooling rack, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, beat sugar, cornstarch, water and lemon juice with whisk. In small bowl, mash 1½ cups of the sliced strawberries with bottom of whisk or fork to make 1 cup finely mashed strawberries; stir into pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir one minute. Pour into medium bowl; cool 5 minutes. Stir remaining sliced strawberries into cooked strawberry mixture.
- In small bowl, mix cream cheese and lemon peel until well blended. Spread in bottom of cooled baked crust. Spoon strawberry mixture into pan; spread evenly.
- Refrigerate until set, about 3 hours. Just before serving, top pieces with sweetened whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate any remaining pie pieces.