This classic comfort food gets an easy makeover in this version made with ground beef, mushrooms, peppery cream sauce and noodles.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (8 oz) sliced baby portabella mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 1½ cups Progresso™ beef flavored broth (from 32-oz carton)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup Gold Medal™ (Or Your Choice) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 cups cooked egg noodles
- Chopped Italian (flat-leaf) parsley, if desired
- In 10-inch nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Cook mushrooms, onions and garlic in butter 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Remove from skillet to small bowl; set aside.
- Increase heat to medium-high. In same skillet, cook beef 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until no longer pink; drain. Stir in 1 cup of the beef broth, the Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper; heat to boiling. Beat flour and remaining ½ cup beef broth with whisk until incorporated; stir into beef mixture. Add mushroom mixture; return to boiling, and stir constantly about 1 minute or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream.
- Serve with cooked egg noodles. Garnish with parsley.