Crazy for coconut? So are we. This cool, creamy dessert is everything you’re looking for in a coconut cream pie. A layer of quick homemade whipped cream on top takes things to the next level.
- 1 Pillsbury™ refrigerated pie crust, softened as directed on box
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 2½ teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups whipping cream
- ⅓ cup sugar
- Toasted coconut, if desired
- Heat oven to 450°F. Make pie crust as directed on box for One-Crust Baked Shell using 9-inch glass pie plate. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in large heavy saucepan, mix ½ cup sugar and the cornstarch. In small bowl, beat half-and-half and egg yolks with whisk. Gradually add egg mixture to sugar mixture; heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute; remove from heat. Stir in butter, 1 cup coconut and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap, placing plastic wrap directly on custard; let stand 30 minutes. Spoon custard into cooled baked shell. Cover; refrigerate 30 minutes or until set.
- In medium bowl, beat whipping cream with electric mixer on high speed until foamy; gradually add ⅓ cup sugar and remaining 1½ teaspoons vanilla, beating until soft peaks form. Spread whipped cream over pie. Sprinkle with toasted coconut. Store in refrigerator.